Get a Duplicate California Car Title | Insurance Finder

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched DMV.orgfor car insurance rates:

Our step-by-step process is easy to follow, making your title application a breeze! Get yourself prepared BEFORE you visit the DMV.

Replacing a Lost Title in California

How to get a duplicate title with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • Complete an Application for Duplicate Title (Form REG 227).
  • Pay the $20 duplicate title fee.
  • Return the application to the CA DMV by mail or in person.
  • Read on for more lost title details.

Applying for a Duplicate CA Title

You can submit your request for a duplicate vehicle title by mail or in person at your local CA DMV office. You'll need to:

  • Download, print, and complete the Application for Duplicate Title Form (Form REG 227).
    • Keep in mind, though, that the true/legal owner must sign the form and have it notarized.
    • When filling out the application do not forget to include:
      • Owner's full name.
      • Owner's current address.
      • Owner's driver license number.
      • Vehicle's license plate number.
      • Signature to the statement of facts about what happened to the title.
      • Damaged title, if applicable.

You can also use this form for paperless title certification, transfer of title with duplicate title, or a transfer of title with paperless title.

You may submit the duplicate title application by mail at:

Department of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Registration Operations P.O. Box 942869

Sacramento, CA 94269

Alternatively, you may also apply in person by making an appointment at a nearby DMV, but don't forget to take your California driver license.

Application Fees

The duplicate title fee is $20, but this will vary with type of vehicle and is subject to change.

Refer to the related registration fees if you need to replace a lost title for a boat or other vessel.

Name Change/Correction on Your Vehicle Title

NOTE : If your name is hyphenated or has multiple words, it will show as one word on your title. This is not an error and will not require a name correction.

When you change your name due to marriage or divorce, or if the name on your title is misspelled, you may need to updated the name on your motor vehicle record.

To submit your request for a name change with the CA DMV, you must:

  • Present your CA Certificate of Title.
    • Your correct name must be printed or typed above the incorrect name.
  • Complete a Name Statement in Section F of the Statements of Facts (Form REG 256).
    • You'll need to indicate the reason for the name change and your signature.
    • If there is a lien on your vehicle, present this form to the lienholder directly. They'll need to handle the process for you.
  • Fill out an Application for Duplicate Title Form (Form REG 227), if the title is lost, stolen or mutilated.
  • Submit your application in person at any DMV office or by mail to:

Department of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Registration Operations P.O. Box 942869

Sacramento, CA 94269

There are no fees for a name change or correction. However, if you're applying for a duplicate title, you'll need to pay the duplicate title fee. See "The Application Fees" above for more details. Insurance Finder

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched for car insurance rates:

DMV Cheat Sheets Time Saver

Passing the driver's ed written exam has never been easier.

Registration Renewal

Before your car has expired tags, you'll need to complete your license plate sticker renewal.

Thanks! We're happy you found this page helpful.

To share your feedback, please visit our Customer Care page.

We're sorry that this page was not helpful.

What can we do better?

Please visit our Customer Care page to let us know.

Thank you for submitting your feedback! BBB Business ReviewRegister as Organ Donor


Category: Title

Similar articles: