How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Idaho
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
In the state of Idaho, only the owner, lienholder or their owner can apply for a duplicate title.
- In the state of Idaho, only the owner, lienholder or their owner can apply for a duplicate title. Complete the Application for Idaho Title form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title. Be sure to fill in the VIN and title number or else you will have to complete a Idaho State Motor vehicle record request form with a $4 fee.
- Once completed, you must have the signature on the application form properly notarized.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a completed and notarized Lien Release with your application or it should be attached with an original satisfaction of lien statement or a copy verifying its originality. If this is not satisfied, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lienholder.
- If there are changes to be made on the original title, because of incorrect name or description, you must resubmit the title with a letter stating the reason. An $8 fee may apply.
- In order to submit new lienholder information, the name and address must be written on the â€˜new lienholder section' on the title. A $8 fee is applicable.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit an $8.00 duplicate title fee. An expedited fee of $15.00 is applicable totalling up to $23.00. Do not send cash.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local DMV office, or mail the package to:
Idaho Transportation Department Titles/Dealer Operations Section Post Office Box 34, Boise, Idaho 83731-0034