Title Transfers or obtaining a New Certificate of Title in Mississippi

A certificate of title issued by the state of Mississippi is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner.


For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle typically will accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. However, buyers wishing to handle the titling independently can do so. Those interested in applying for a new title without the dealer's assistance should refer to the Title and Registration Frequently Asked Questions on the Mississippi State Tax Commission website.


Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle

When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name within 7 business days. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety:


Along with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, you will need to submit the following fees:

  1. $10 title fee.
  2. Sales tax, Ad Valorem and Privilege Tax depending on the domicile of the vehicle and the selling price.

Contact your local county tax-assessor's office for the total fees.

Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle Owner

In the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title is often transferred to the heirs or someone else identified in the owner's will. The procedures and fees for this type of transfer are similar to those outlined above. In addition, it is important to determine how the estate of the deceased has been settled by the heir(s). In some cases, the heirs may need to complete an affidavit when the owner dies without leaving a will.

For more information on title transfers following the death of a vehicle owner contact the local county tax-assessor's office.


Category: Title

Similar articles: