Get a Duplicate Mississippi Car Title |

Verified As Of: 05/06/2017 ? Insurance Finder

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched DMV.orgfor car insurance rates:

Replacing a Lost Title in Mississippi

The Mississippi Department of Revenue (DOR) requires you to replace the title for your vehicle if you are certain there is an original Mississippi title and it is:

  • Damaged.
  • Destroyed.
  • Stolen.
  • Illegible.
  • Mutilated.

You can also apply for a duplicate if you never received the original title from the DOR or a lienholder. The Title Bureau of the Mississippi Department of Revenue (based in Jackson) processes all requests for new title and other vehicle title requests.

Applying for a Duplicate Title

You can apply for your replacement MS vehicle title by mail or in person at your local MS DOR office.

To replace a lost title, you'll need to:

Department of Revenue Title Bureau P.O. Box 1383

Jackson, MS 39201

You can also drop off your application and payment at any Mississippi Tax Collector's Office.

When the application for a replacement title is received, the DOR generally takes up to 4 weeks to process your request.

NOTE : If the name on the application is different than the name on the title, or will be mailed to someone besides the owner, a copy of power of attorney is required.

Fast Track Title

In a hurry to receive a duplicate title? With the Fast Track program, the DOR processes titles within 72 hours. To apply:

Mississippi Fast Track Title Program P.O. Box 22845

Jackson, MS 39225

Joint owners can sign and provide information right under the owner's signature. If the original title lists more than a single owner, both are required to sign the application form to replace lost vehicle title.

If more than a single person is listed on the title with an "and" between the names, you must have both signatures on the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form 78-006).

If someone other than the owner (such as a car dealer) requests a title for the owner, a signed power of attorney should accompany the application.

What happens if there is a lien on the title?

When a replacement title is issued, the original title is considered invalid, so lienholders must release this original lien or apply for a replacement. The lienholder can keep the title or direct the Mississippi Department of Revenue to mail a lien release form to the owner for their signature. If there is no release or signature, the title will be sent to the lienholder, although the owner still needs a release form at some point.

Making Corrections on Your Title

Your local Tax Collector office for your county can provide proper paperwork to make any updates or corrections, and will share your request with the DOR.

If the incorrect information was made by the county, all replacement application fees will be waived.

If the information was taken correctly from an incorrect application, the applicant must pay a replacement application fee.

You also can change your name.

Change Your Name

The name-change process begins by taking your vehicle title to your local Tax Collector's office. If your name has legally been changed, you'll need copy of the legal decree, such as a marriage license, divorce documents or court order.

For more details, please read our page about Changing Your Name. Insurance Finder

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched for car insurance rates:

DMV Cheat Sheets Time Saver

Passing the driver's ed written exam has never been easier.

Registration Renewal

Before your car has expired tags, you'll need to complete your license plate sticker renewal.

Thanks! We're happy you found this page helpful.

To share your feedback, please visit our Customer Care page.

We're sorry that this page was not helpful.

What can we do better?

Please visit our Customer Care page to let us know.

Thank you for submitting your feedback! BBB Business ReviewRegister as Organ Donor


Category: Title

Similar articles: